25 February 2011

"It's the people you're with that matters..."

Dominique (Dominic?)--Dom. He's Ross's neighbor who does a lot of work around the yard. He's actually a construction worker. This man has a big beer belly. He hardly wears a shirt and when he does it's usually unbuttoned. He just wanders onto Ross's property and talks with us frequently. A beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, it's rare to see him without both. He always seems drunk and it may very well be that he always is just a little bit so. Well, tonight, Dom decided to go out of his comfort zone, as did I. It was Jason's birthday today. He also passed his English exam which will allow him to enrol in uni here in Australia. Thus, tonight, Ross tossed some lamb and some sausages on the barbie and we feasted Aussie style. A large group of about 15 were here tonight and it was just hanging out, eating, and having a good time. Then, as part of the celebration, we all headed into Sydney to a pub in a hotel--the Shark Bar.

We went to the pub and all the non-Americans were drinking, as is normal (I won't pretend like they weren't getting tipsy, as they were). There was a good amount of dancing in the place, lots of music and lights. It was packed. And yes, even I got up and danced a bit. But the highlight of the evening was sitting and chatting with Dom.

Out of the blue, this seemingly always drunk man starts talking to me about the importance of caring about the people you're close to. He points out to me that most of the people in the bar are Asians. He clarifies he's not trying to be racist, it's just interesting. And that turns into a brief, but interesting discussion in which Dom says, "I don't care about if you're white or black or yellow or anything. It's your personality that matters. It's you as a person that matters." And he then says, "You know, Ross's wife died 5 years ago? Well, Ross has been my mate for 30 years. And his friends, we know we've gotta stick close. Ross is my friend. And it's just important for me to be here. I don't much care for the city, myself. I almost didn't come tonight, but it's an occasion that he cares about, so I thought, 'What the hell' and here I am."

That's friendship. Pure and simple. Dom doesn't look like much when you first look at him. But he is an incredible man. On the bus home--the last bus tonight--he gave some girl his number. Dom's a sneaky man. And he's as friendly as they come. And for a bit on the bus, he had all the attention of our group as we cheered for his success in talking to this lady. And then we got home. And there he was walking with me asking if I had a good time. I told him I did. I asked if he did. He said, "Yeah, I did. You know, those pubs aren't really my thing. I'd never been to that one and probably won't go back, but I had a good time. It's the people you're with that matters. Go to a place like that by yourself and you got nothing. Go with the right group and you'll have a great time."

And Dom's right. I have no idea if he's even a christian. But that man loves his neighbor like none other. And he's such an example of Australian hospitality--Ross is too, for that matter. The people here are incredible. I feel safe. Secure. Loved. And I only just got here. But I feel like these people are family. And it's going to suck to leave in 4 months. But I can already tell, this experience is going to change me. I'm already starting to think about the world differently. I don't think I'm going to be the same person when I return home. Life here is beautiful. I'm happy. And I can't wait for the change to really start happening, because loving like Dom does would be beautiful. And I think that's one of the main reasons I've ended up here. To learn to love. And I hope I can bring that home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment