24 February 2011

A couple days in...

So.... I made it to Australia.

I listened to Hugh Jackman's Boy From Oz on the plane. Wonderful music. And a lot has happened in the last few days very quickly. And frankly, I don't know how to even remotely go into talking about it all, because I've met 30+ people in the last few days, I've been through some of Sydney, taken a nice evening harbour cruise, eaten tons of meals--they seriously do it hobbit style here--and things just keep piling up. So, rather than attempt a total recap, I'm going to tell just a couple stories.

The birds gather on the roof and the deck in the evening. They're cockatoos. And around a dozen of them show up wishing to bed fed bread. Ross Frazer, my host dad, puts a piece of bread in his mouth and bends towards one of the birds. It takes it right from him, straight out of his mouth. Ross laughs and says, "You see that? Cocky fella, just takes it." He then turns and looks at the other birds, most of which are still sitting on the roof. "Come on down," he says. And he makes calling sounds like one does with a pet. Ross is a 57 year old widower--his wife died just 5 years ago. He fits my image of an Australian extremely well, which surprises me. He fits many of the stereotypes. He curses left and right, is very opinionated, he loves having a barbie (bbq), he drinks a lot, he's got a thick accent, and he is as welcoming and friendly a man as I've ever met. The man's property is large running back into the woods a bit. A waterfall runs into a creek that marks the boundary line of his land. A couple cats run around the yard. Wounded birds are kept in a cage in Ross's yard. He loves the creatures, it's clear. He loves the land. He is a man in tune with his surroundings. And it's wonderful.

Story #2. If running through the Rocks and to the Harbour Bridge and to the Opera House on a scavenger hunt sounds exhausting but enjoyable, then it sounds exactly like it is. Feet sore and flustered thoughts as we're passing historic landmarks and shops and pubs left and right. Going through random streets looking for landmarks, looking for specific items such as coasters from pubs. The ASC group has been split into groupings with the Australian Year 1 students. Thus, there are only 2 other Americans in my particular group. There are 6 or 7 Australians. They've all been here before. I have no time to get my bearings as we meander through the city. And then there we are on the Harbour Bridge. There's the Opera House for the first in person citing. And there's the Australians criticizing the ludicrous nature of the Opera House's structure. And here I am being overwhelmed. And then we're sitting reunited with the full group doing the wave on the steps up to the Opera House. And then we're getting on a cruise ship on a dock right next to the Opera House. And then we're cruising in the harbour, and it's just an open cruise, hang out with whoever you want, chat, get to know people. And I'm sitting outside by the railing talking to Alessandra (an American student who grew up in Brazil--mk), Kara (another American student from... crap, don't remember), and Erin (one of our ASC leaders) and we're just chatting about anything and everything. And we're connecting. And it's great. This is for what must have been several hours, though it flew by. And then we're inside eating. I'm at a table with Erin, Kimberley (the ASC director), Ryan (one of my housemates), and Jo (one of the drama professors who I don't really know yet but will). And again, we're just chatting. About anything and everything. And Alessandra joins us again and then she and I are chatting about photography. And Denning (an awesome Australian) joins us and we're talking about things that we Americans should be sure to do while we're here. And then the cruise is ending and I'm headed home to Ross's place with my housemates (Ryan, as I said, Nick--a fellow drama person, and Santiago--who grew up in Columbia before moving to the States). And I'm sitting on the bus talking to Nick about theatre. And I'm back to Ross's. And I'm writing a blog. And I'm thinking, "God, I'm the luckiest guy in the world, because this is an incredible place and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be."

1 comment:

  1. Gahh...I'm not going to read this thing anymore because there you are having flippin' scavenger hunts through Sydney and open cruises with huge meals and here I am, sitting in the empty apartment, eating a pop-tart. It's a good pop-tart but still...it's a pop-tart.

    Glad your trip has started on the right foot. Now go shave your head.

    ReplyDelete