01 March 2011

So... about that internship...

"Theatre Secondment.... Working in an industry position designed/helped decided upon by the head of the drama department. That sounds like it could be cool! I'll sign up for it!" So went my thoughts back when I was initially trying to figure out what courses I should be taking while enrolled at the ASC. Then it turned out they weren't offering any actual secondments this semester. However, they offered internships instead, potentially assistant directing or assistant stage managing. Well, the directing one sounded more interesting to me off the bat, simply because I prefer the creative side of the work to the management/organization side, though both positions are quite important. So, I said, "Sure, I'd like to do that!"

Time passed and it turned out I needed to have a meeting with Herman and Jo--Herman being the head of drama and Jo being his second in command, essentially. And there was one other student wanting to do the same position. It was decided that we'd meet during orientation and there we'd figure out logistics and qualifications for positions.

So, the time came for our meeting last Friday. They told us a bit about what they were offering--assistant directing 3 short plays: a Strindberg, a Chekov, and a Sartre. And Aaron, the other student who'd shown interest, decided he didn't feel he had enough training for such a work-heavy position; he graciously declined. So, the question turned to me: "Are you still interested?"

I must admit I was a bit nervous. I was unsure I was really qualified to say, "Sure, I want to assistant direct for the head of the department, working on shows that, to be honest, intimidate me!" But then I realized opportunities like this just don't come around everyday. And so I said yes. Herman told me to come to class Tuesday and we'd figure out a set schedule of my involvement later.

So, Tuesday came and I went to class. They'd already had a class Monday. Several of the students had their scripts before their summer holiday. Everyone present had a better idea what was going on than I did. Imagine my surprise when Herman said, "Alright, everyone. Today, I'm going to work with the In Camera group here. Dan will take Mckenzie and Adriana to work on The Stronger, and Annie, you can go do some research on The Bear."

I was sitting there thinking, "Wait. What?! This is the first I've even heard the names of the plays we're doing! I haven't even got a copy of the scripts, let alone read them!" And Herman told me to go through The Stronger with the girls, doing a script analysis, being sure to ask questions about motivation, to figure out what's happening within the script, so they are getting stronger handles on the characters, so they can begin finding out the little details. Thus, I went with the girls down to the grassy knoll, and we ran into Lisa on the way, who handed me my scripts (praise God), and we read through The Stronger. As soon as the read through was done, Mckenzie and Adriana began discussing immediately without my prompting. Then, I got my sea legs about me, and my directing instincts began to kick in. I suddenly was remembering what kinds of questions I needed to ask, what kind of things I needed to say to get these two fine actors thinking in ways that would help them find their characters, find their motivations. Director mode turned on. I let the girls discuss as they would and would prompt questions whenever a lull would occur. We talked about the (roughly) 10 minute show for a little over an hour. I was happy with the work, as were both girls. We accomplished a lot and both of them commented that it was one of the most productive sessions outside of the classroom setting they'd had.

Day 1 of my involvement with the Shorts went well. I've now read all three plays (The Stronger by August Strindberg, The Bear by Anton Chekov, and Huis Clos (In Camera) by Jean-Paul Sartre). And I'm wrapping my head around the idea that I'm assistant directing what are all fairly tough classics--any one of which would be a pretty big undertaking by itself, let alone along with the other two. And the actors I was working with today were undaunted, which fueled my own energy. I'm excited for these shows. I'm excited for this semester. I'm in a place that I love doing the kind of work that I love with people who clearly love it too. And they are wonderful people. I don't think I can truly express just how lucky I am right now. Life is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment